Welcome to django-comments-xtd¶
A Django pluggable application that adds comments to your project. It extends the once official Django Comments Framework.
This documentation represents the current version, v2.8.1, of django-comments-xtd. For old versions of the documentation:
- v2.7.2: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.7.2/
- v2.6.2: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.6.2/
- v2.5.1: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.5.1/
- v2.4.3: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.4.3/
- v2.3.1: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.3.1/
- v2.2.1: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.2.1/
- v2.1.0: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.1.0/
- v2.0.10: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/2.0.10/
- v1.7.1: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/1.7.1/
- v1.6.7: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/1.6.7/
- v1.5.1: https://django-comments-xtd.readthedocs.io/en/1.5.1/
- Thread support, so comments can be nested.
- Customizable maximum thread level, either for all models or on a per app.model basis.
- Optional notifications on follow-up comments via email.
- Mute links to allow cancellation of follow-up notifications.
- Comment confirmation via email when users are not authenticated.
- Comments hit the database only after they have been confirmed.
- Registered users can like/dislike comments and can suggest comments removal.
- Template tags to list/render the last N comments posted to any given list of app.model pairs.
- Emails sent through threads (can be disable to allow other solutions, like a Celery app).
Start with these documents to get you up and running:
Once you’ve got django-comments-xtd working, you may want to know more about specific features, or check out the use cases to see how others customize it.
[2.8.1] - 2020-10-16¶
- Fixes issue #80, that requests to change the response when clicking more than once on a comment confirmation link. Up until now clicking more than once on a comment confirmation link produced a HTTP 404 response. Since version 2.8.1 the response is the same as for the first click: the user is redirected to the comment’s view in the page.
- Fixes issue #152, about loading the staticfiles templatetag instead of static. Since Django v3.0 the staticfiles app requires using the latter.
- Fixes issue #221, about the get_version function. Now it returns the full version number
<major>.<minor>.<patch>. Thanks to @mckinly.
- Fixes issue #229, about failing to process empty honeypot field when posting comments using the REST API. Thanks to @TommasoAmici.
[2.8.0] - 2020-09-26¶
- Fixes issue #106, which is about computing the number of nested comments for every comment at every level down the tree. The fix consists of adding a new field called
nested_countto the XtdComment model. Its value represents the number of threaded comments under itself. A new management command,
initialize_nested_count, can be used to update the value of the field, the command is idempotent. Two new migrations have been added: migration 0007 adds the new field, and migration 0008 calls the
initialize_nested_countcommand to populate the
nested_countnew field with correct values.
- Fixes issue #215 about running the tests with Django 3.1 and Python 3.8.
[2.7.2] - 2020-09-08¶
[2.7.1] - 2020-08-12¶
[2.7.0] - 2020-08-09¶
- Enhancement, closing issue #155 (and #170), on how to post comments via the web API. Up until version 2.6.2 posting comments required the fields timestamp, security_hash and honeypot. As of 2.7.0 there is support allow Django REST Framework authentication classes:
WriteCommentSerializersend the signal
should_request_be_authorizethat enables posting comments. Read the documentation about the web API.
- Enhancement, closing issue #175 on how to customize django-comments-xtd so that user images displayed in comments come from other sources. A new setting
COMMENTS_XTD_API_GET_USER_AVATARhas been added. The docs have been extended with a page that explains the use case in depth.
- Fixes issue #171, on wrong permission used to decide whether a user is a moderator. The right permission is
django_comments.can_moderate. (thanks to Ashwani Gupta, @ashwani99).
- Fixes issue #136 on missing <link> element in the
templates/base.htmlfile distributed with the tutorial.tar.gz bundle.
[2.6.2] - 2020-07-05¶
- Adds Dutch translation (thanks to Jean-Paul Ladage, @jladage).
- Adds Russian translation (thanks to Михаил Рыбкин, @MikerStudio).
- Fixesissue #140, which adds the capacity to allow only registered users to post comments.
- Fixesissue #149, on wrong SQL boolean literal value used when running special command
populate_xtdcommentsto load Postgres database with xtdcomments.
- Fixes issue #154, on using string formatting compatible with Python versions prior to 3.6.
- Fixes issue #156, on wrong props name
api/frontend.pymodule referred to it as
poll_interval. (thanks to @ashwani99).
- Fixes issue #159, about using the same id for all the checkboxes in the comment list. When ticking one checkbox in a nested form the checkbox of the main form was ticked. Now each checkbox has a different id, suffixed with the content of the
[2.6.1] - 2020-05-13¶
- Fixes issue #150, about wrong protocol in the URL when fetching avatar images from gravatar.
[2.6.0] - 2020-05-12¶
- Fixes issue #145, on inadequate number of SQL queries used by API entry point comments-xtd-api-list, available in the URL
/comments/api/<content-type>/<object-pk>/. The issue also happened when rendering the comments using tags
render_xtdcomment_tree. It has been fixed in both cases too.
- Updates the JSON schema of the output retrieved by the API entry point comments-xtd-api-list. Thus the version number change. The flags attribute of each retrieved is now a list of flags instead of a summary for each the flags: “I like it”, “I dislike it”, “suggest removal”.
[2.5.1] - 2020-04-27¶
- Fixes issue #138, on unpublishing a single comment with public nested comments. The fix consists of a new
pre_savereceiver that will either publish or unpublish nested comments when a comment changes its
is_publicattribute. (thanks to @hematinik).
[2.5.0] - 2020-04-22¶
[2.4.3] - 2020-01-26¶
- Fixes issue on the ContentType that happens when sending post request with empty data. (PR: #137) (thanks to @dvorberg).
- Adds German translations, (thanks to @dvorberg).
[2.4.2] - 2019-12-25¶
- Adds Django 3.0 compatibility thanks to Sergey Ivanychev (@ivanychev).
- Adds Norwegian translations thanks to Yngve Høiseth (@yhoiseth).
[2.4.1] - 2019-09-30¶
[2.4.0] - 2019-02-19¶
New minor release thanks to Mandeep Gill with the following changes:
- Adds support for non-int based
object_pk, for instead when using UUIDs or HashIds as the primary key on a model (closes #112).
- Refactors the commentbox props generation into a separate function so can be used from the webapi for use with rest-framework/API-only backends that don’t make use of server-side templates.
- Adds a pyproject.yaml for use with poetry and new pip environments (PEP 518).
[2.3.1] - 2019-01-08¶
- Fixes issue #116.
- babel-cli from 6.24.1 to 6.26.0.
- jquery from 3.2.1 to 3.3.1.
[2.3.0] - 2018-11-29¶
- Upgrades Twitter-Bootstrap from v3 to v4.
- Fixes issue with tutorial fixtures (bug #114).
- ReactJS updates from 15.5 to 16.5.
- Babel updates from 6 to 7.
- Webpack from 2.4.1 to 4.21.0.
- Bootstrap from 3.3.7 to 4.1.3.
[2.2.1] - 2018-10-06¶
- Resolves deprecation warnings and adopt recommendations in unit tests.
- Fixes demo sites so that they work with Django 1.11, Django 2.0 and Django 2.1.
[2.2.0] - 2018-08-12¶
- Adds support for Django 2.1.
- Drops support for Django < 1.11 as it depends on django-contrib-comments which dropped support too.
- Fixes issue #104 (on lack of Django 2.1 support).
[2.1.0] - 2018-02-13¶
[2.0.10] - 2018-01-19¶
[2.0.9] - 2017-11-09¶
- Fix issue #77. Template filter
xtd_comment_gravatar_urlmust not hard-code http schema in URL (reported by @pamost).
[2.0.8] - 2017-09-24¶
- App translation to Finnish, thanks to Tero Tikkanen (@terotic).
[2.0.7] - 2017-09-20¶
[2.0.6] - 2017-08-08¶
- Code fixes to enable proper support for the Django Sites Framework.
- Code fixes for the comp demo site.
- Makes demo site dates in initial data files timezone aware.
- Improves documentation on setting up demo sites.
- Style changes in CSS wells.
[2.0.5] - 2017-07-20¶
- Surpass version number to fix problem with package upload in PyPI.
- No changes applied to this version.
[2.0.4] - 2017-07-19¶
django.core.signingwith temporary comment passed in URL redirection.
- Fix mistakes in documentation.
[2.0.3] - 2017-07-10¶
- App translation to French thanks to Brice Gelineau.
- Fixed MANIFEST.in file, so that files with translations are distributed.
[2.0.0] - 2017-06-04¶
- Web API to: * Create a comment for a given content type and object ID. * List comments for a given content type and object ID. * Send feedback flags (like/dislike) on comments. * Send report flag (removal suggestion) for a comment. * Template filter
has_permissionapplicable to a user object and accepting a string specifying the
app_label.permissionbeing checked. It returns
Trueif the user has the given permission, otherwise returns
COMMENTS_XTD_API_USER_REPRdefines a lambda function to return the user string representation used by the web API in response objects.
COMMENTS_XTD_APP_MODEL_PERMISSIONSto explicitly define what commenting features are enabled on per app.model basis.
comments/deleted.htmlmatching django-comments-xtd default twitter-bootstrap styling.
- Dependencies on Python packages: djangorestframework.
- Supports i18n for English and Spanish.
- All settings namespaced inside the COMMENTS_XTD setting.
- Management command to migrate comments from django-contrib-comments to django-comments-xtd.
- Enable removal link in
django_comments_xtd/comment_tree.htmlwhen the user has the permission
- Changed, when the user logged has
django_comments_xtd/comment_tree.htmlwill show the number of removal suggestions a comment has received.
- Changed, when a comment is marked as removed by a moderator (using django-comments’ comments-delete url) every nested comment below the one removed is unpublished (
is_publicattribute is turned to
- Changed view helper functions,
perform_like+` and ``perform_dislikenow returns a boolean indicating whether a flag was created. If
Truethe flag has been created. If
Falsethe flag has been deleted. These two functions behave as toggle functions.
- Changed templates
- Removed dependency on django-markup.
- Removed template filter
- Removed setting